Infographic: Stages of a Ransomware Attack in Schools
To proactively prevent an attack, one must understand the origins of ransomware software as well as the stages of an attack.
Stages of a Ransomware Attack in Schools
- Exploitation and Infection - The attacker establishes a foothold on a network.
- Deliver and Execution - The ransomware executable is delivered to the victim system.
- Destruction of Backups - The malware tries to locate all backups and deletes them to prevent easy recovery.
- File Encryption - The malware encrypts the primary files using a unique key.
- User Notification and Cleanup - The victim is notified that their files have been encrypted, and a ransom is demanded.